Wednesday, May 31

Burning the candle at both ends

Traveling is concentrated living. Recovering from jet-lag, getting used to eating late in the evening, bouts of insomnia, hiking, island-hopping, hitting the books... It's enough to put anyone off-kilter.

Yesterday: Harrison is giving his report on Thessaloniki and complains of feeling warm, then dizzy, then he starts to go down. David manages to grab him and prevent him from hitting the floor. Then the "ER nurses" go into action. Water, fruit, and smoothie is administered and the patient recovers.
The Sisters of Mercy

Harrison does not seem to have taken any permanent hurt, and we professors were very proud of how everyone galvanized into action.

David, The Hero

A cautionary tale: one cannot live off of erudition alone. Food, drink, sleep are also necessary. As Edna St. Vincent Millay noted:

“My candle burns at both ends;

It will not last the night;

But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends

It gives a lovely light!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually I didn't realize anyone could make comments. Thanks!

I read both blogs everyday and have come to realize that I'm actually living vicariously though all of you!

I love hearing about all your adventures, both good and bad. Tell Harrison I'm glad he's OK. I also sympathize with all of you.

In the summer of 2004, I studied Spanish at the University of Salamanca in Salamanca, Spain, for a month.

Everything is different: people, places, food, language, the constant urge to go out and discover, which everyone does until their bodies just give out...

Have fund and be careful!

Andrea Fitzgerald

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm Brian's mom and I love reading about the activities of the travelers! Through reading both blogs daily, I know how to pray for you travelers.
Post more pictures!
~ Kathryn

Anonymous said...

How come we're not seeing any pictures of you? Let's see one after you've had lots of ouzo!

Anonymous said...

What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
»

Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?